How Long Do BMW Models Last?
Consumer Reports conducted a study over how many miles cars can last. It was concluded that “almost any car can make it well into six-figure territory with proper care.” According to the Department of Transportation, the average age of all cars on the road is over 11 years. But what about a BMW model? How many miles do BMW models last on Fort Lee roads and beyond? Learn more about the BMW reliability and more with our team at BMW of Tenafly.
Is a BMW a Good Car?
In short, yes. BMW vehicles are good cars in Cresskill. Though BMW repairs can be expensive because of imported parts, the quality with which a BMW is designed means less frequent maintenance repairs than other brands. Here are a few studies that better illustrate BMW reliability:
- iSeeCars: The BMW M6 is on a top 10 list from iSeeCars of the Longest-Lasting Sports Cars, with some of them lasting over 200,000 miles. So if you are worried that a high-performance M6 is a rash purchase, worry no more.
- Consumer Reports: Back in 2018, a reliability study was done on over 500,000 vehicles to determine which vehicles can rack their mileage up with minimal issues. BMW placed as the 8th most reliable in a list of 29 brands, beating out competitors like Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Acura, and Lincoln.
- J.D. Power: A study (which has been conducted every year since 1989) measured problems experienced by original owners over a 12-month period in three-year-old vehicles. BMW was above the industry average in this study, along with other German brands like Volkswagen.
Tips for Making Your BMW Last Longer
When it comes time to purchase the BMW you’ve been searching for, you’ll want to make sure you’ve done your research. Before you purchase a BMW, keep these tips in mind:
- Get the features you want. Purchase a car that you will still love in 10 years or more.
- Get the latest safety technology. Rearview cameras, blind-spot warning, electronic stability control, etc. will help you avoid accidents.
- Get a second opinion. Before you purchase used, take it to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic inspection.
If you already own a BMW, find out how many miles it can last on Westwood roads with these tips:
- Routine maintenance. Sticking to the recommended maintenance schedule in your vehicle’s owner’s manual is absolutely essential.
- Genuine BMW Parts. Use OEM parts, right down to the BMW engine oil, for replacements and repairs is to increase the longevity of your car.
- Inspections between service intervals. Inspect your vehicle about once a month for warning signs to avoid greater damage down the road.
- Regular cleaning. Regularly washing and waxing your BMW exterior can help prevent chipping, rust, and salt damage, and regularly cleaning the inside can reduce excess wear to the upholstery and carpets.
Find Your BMW in Tenafly
Learn more about our models, BMW service, and more before you make the trip to Tenafly. Have questions in the meantime? Don’t hesitate to contact our team. We can also help you apply for financing online to get pre-approved for your favorite model.